When I think of serendipity, I tend not to think of collisions. To the contrary, serendipity conjures up a vision of dancing freely in a sun drenched meadow. Just random bliss. A collision, on the other hand, is what happens when you fail to notice that tree …. Ouch!
But a “serendipitous collisions” in innovation thinking are a good thing - where we bump into new ideas from sources we don’t expect. And that happens when our conversations are more open instead of closed.
Like many startup CEOs, Sivak said he believes in the “serendipitous collisions” that happen between coworkers who work in open spaces.
Hmm … sounds annoying. But balancing “structured conversations” with “open sourcing” is the future.How? Well, from the article, here is a menu of tools
- sharing platforms - where I go to share
- open work spaces - create in labs not cubicles
- internal crowdfunding - to find collaborators
- internal seed funding - to start up experiments
- outsourcing partnerships - bringing in short term talent
So, how much of this stuff do you bump into every day?